How to Create Effective and Engaging Videos for TikTok

Tick tock, don’t stop! TikTok keeps growing and we know you want ways to stand out on the platform and create better content, grow your audience, and engage with your community. 

TikTok is a fun and engaging platform. Going viral is hard to do on this platform, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find success here. 

Whether you are a seasoned pro or just dipping your toes into the proverbial TikTok waters, these tips should become a go-to checklist for creating better content on the platform. 

1 | Find Your Niche

When you post on the platform, make sure that you are speaking to a niche audience, or subculture. These niche communities are a built-in dedicated fan base who will actively engage with your content. 

2 | Authentically You

TikTok is a great place to experiment, but you also want to be authentically you. Find a tone that works for your brand’s personality and resonates with your target audience. You want this tone to feel authentic and not forced.

3 | Be Engaged

Comments are key to growth on TikTok! This means it’s very important that you respond to comments. Engaging with your audience creates a sense of community, helping your audience feel included and is what cultivates loyal followers. Plus, paying attention to comments can help you gain insight on how your content is resonating. 

4 | Optimize Your Scene

When filming, you want to create fun and engaging videos. Think about your shot in 9×16 and what would work best for this vertical format. Set a brand style for your videos, including your scene (or set), angles you shoot in, and transitions you might use. Play around with these different styles and see what works best for your brand. 

5 | Expensive Equipment Not Required

You don’t need high-tech, expensive gear to create a great TikTok video! In fact, TikTok users like more authentic, less polished content. These users aren’t looking for filtered and curated feeds like some users on Instagram love. Here, it’s all about how you use the tech you already have to entertain your audience. Your phone camera is really all you need!

6 | Be Original

Jumping on trends can be fun and using trending audio can help get you better reach but creating original content is actually an important piece too. When you jump on those trends, put your own creative spin on it to help you stand out. Be unique and authentic to your brand, rather than just following trends. 

7 | Create a Journey

There is a reason we love movies and TV shows–they take us on a journey. Think of your content on TikTok in much the same way. Take your audience on a journey by telling a story, segmenting your video out into a series of videos or showing behind-the-scenes footage of your creative process. This last one is pivotal to telling your brand’s story, which helps you stand out from the crowd and tells audiences why your brand is unique and different from your competitors. 

8 | Use TikTok’s Tools

Don’t dismiss using TikTok’s tools. Using TikTok to film and edit your videos in the app can make your content feel native to the platform. Don’t forget about other tools, such as filters, text, and text to speech. 

9 | Make it Content Rich

Rich content provides value. Providing value to your audience is simple, but is an often overlooked piece of marketing. Your target audience is savvy and they don’t want to be sold to all the time. Advertising should be about 10% of your content. The other 90% should be content that educates or entertains your audience. In other words, give them something of value for free. 

10 | Create a Script

Finally, create a script for the platform. TikTok moves fast and you have to grab users’ attention quickly–within seconds, in fact. Once you’ve written a script, cut it down to the bare bones. Focus on one-liners and punchlines that bring your script to life. The goal: tell your story, but as quickly as possible. 

Go Pro

If you need help with creating an effective TikTok strategy, call in the pros! Tintero would love to help you build a brand strategy for this popular platform. We help guide brands to effective storytelling and building healthy and sustainable marketing practices. Schedule a free consultation today!